Welcome to the Women’s Association of Hilton Head Island! WAHHI is a vital and resilient association that has thrived and grown alongside this beautiful part of the Lowcountry for the past 6 decades. We are proud of the talented and amazing women that have contributed to our legacy over the years and continue to join WAHHI and make us who we are today.
The Hilton Head Garden Club was organized in January 1961 by 23 women with their first project being the beautification of Coligny Circle. In 1965 the group changed its name to the Women’s Association of Hilton Head Island. For more than 60 years the women of this association have upheld and honored the original mission: to promote the natural and cultural beauty of the island, to encourage projects which benefit the community, and to facilitate communication among the women. We are now approaching a membership of almost 1,000 women who dedicate their time and talents to serve the greater community of Hilton Head and Bluffton.
Each year a programming theme is chosen. This year’s theme is all about finding YOUR JOY. As we emerge from a pandemic, we look forward to returning to the activities that make WAHHI so special to each of us and bring us joy. This year our program team is working hard to provide many opportunities to meet new friends and socialize.
There are four membership meetings conducted each year.
- Fall Kick Off and Expo– Find your Joy in our association at The Lowcountry Celebration Park on Thursday, September 22, 2022, beginning at 3:30 pm and featuring Deas-Guyz and the opportunity to explore our 45+ interest groups.
- Holiday Celebration and Performance– Find Joy in the Holidays! Hilton Head Beach & Tennis Club. Thursday, December 8, 2022. Our Difference Makers will also organize a toy drive for a local nonprofit organization.
- WAHHI Charitable Fund Grant Awards, Community Foundation of the Lowcountry featured plus our grant recipients and honoring our WAHHI Difference Makers. Event held at the Coastal Arts Center on February 10, 2023, with a dine-around luncheon to follow in the Shelter Cove Marina
- WAHHI Spring Celebration and 42nd Youth Community Service Awards, April 8, 2023- Join us to celebrate the outstanding youth in our community – and our teachers for their amazing support.
These membership programs allow women to develop new friendships, learn about the community, and support activities like toy drives for needy children, our youth, hunger drives, and more.
Other Membership Activities include . . .
- Chef Events at local restaurants
- Author Series featuring conversations with nationally recognized authors
- A “new” Broadway series launching this fall
- Fundraising events to support our WAHHI Charitable Fund and Youth Community Service Awards
- Community outreach to “make a difference in one day” through our Difference Makers Interest Group
- Member Spotlights and Interviews
Interest Groups are a vital part of WAHHI. These groups are organized as small groups of women sharing their interests, skills, and hobbies with other women in WAHHI. In 2022, we have over 40 interest groups. These groups include golf, pickleball, card games, cooking, book groups, Pinterest, several groups that focus on our culture and environment as well as groups that organize to provide service in the community. You can find out more about all our groups on this website.
Throughout the years WAHHI has raised thousands of dollars to benefit the community. Our two major philanthropic efforts are the Youth Community Service Awards and the WAHHI Charitable Fund. Each year since 1980 WAHHI has presented cash awards to deserving seniors from local high schools who have demonstrated outstanding community service. WAHHI also awards grants to eligible nonprofits that support the WAHHI mission.
You can stay connected with WAHHI through our website, Facebook, Instagram, and our newsletter. We also have a member app for your phone that will help you connect to WAHHI friends and stay updated on all of the activities that you are interested in!
We invite you to step out, try new things, and get involved in WAHHI. The benefits are many – fun, friendship, and opportunities to learn about and support our community as we work together for a successful and joyful year.